The Old Bridge Inn is a fine example of vernacular architecture. Originally a timber building, later encased in stone, it boasts wattle and daub, plank and muntin, a fine cruck frame and remnants of a bread oven.
Our earliest record of the Old Bridge Inn is from 1307. It was then the home of the early Yeoman Clothier" Robert of Brigge of Soland ". The family owned a small fulling mill on the opposite bank of the river Ryburn, and Cicely, wife of Elias the Walker was fined 3d in 1307 for brewing contrary to the assize: Our part of the Manor of Wakefield was very much a dual economy area. The land was steep and of little agricultural value, and tenants took to weaving cloth or brewing ale and so on to make a living.
Situated next to the River Ryburn, and on the main York to Chester road, the inn would provide welcome repose to the weary traveller. Before there was a bridge the river was forded, and very much prone to flooding what better way to while away a flood than over a flagon of ale?
In 1653 the inn was bequeathed to the church, and remained its property until sold to Ramsdens' brewers in 1897 for £1,775, the proceeds invested in Consols. The Hirstwood family were innkeeper tenants of the church during almost all of that time, the last of their line being Ruth Schofield, who left it in the 1870's to marry Robert Holt, a partner at Chapel Field Mill.
In 1963 Daisy and Ian Beaumont, mother and son, purchased the inn and stripped away the 19th and 20th century partitions to restore the building to that we see today. Furnished with antiques and a few tasteful prints, it was one of the first pubs of its time to offer fine food as well as drink.
In 2001 Ian's niece Lindsay, and husband Tim Eaton Walker purchased the inn upon lan's retirement, maintaining the tradition of generations of ownership.
Today the Old Bridge Inn is featured in many of the leading independent food guides: The Good Pub Guide, The AA Pub Guide, Les Routiers and the Daily Telegraph Quiet Pint to name but some. Authenticity is our by-word here. Only home-cooked food is served, and you won't find "foreign" beers brewed in Hull, nor alcopops. You will find fine ales from Timothy Taylor, Black Sheep and other truly independent brewers and a good selection of genuine imported beers including Lindeboom Pilsener, Dortmunder Pits and Erdinger Weiss on draught. A good and oft changing wine list is available, with many available by the glass. Real fires in winter add that finishing touch.
In order to maintain our identity as a pub, rather than restaurant, food is not served on Saturday or Sunday evenings. Out of this eccentricity was born the Pork Pie Appreciation Society in 1983 : On Saturday afternoons a group of then young men attended a local gym. One chap always had a packed snack and caused the others to salivate by eating it in front of them. Eventually they could tolerate this no more and asked Tim if they could bring in a pork pie for each of them. Rather than lose a dozen thirsty lads of course, Tim acquiesced, and the boys soon learned that some pork pies were more equal than others. The rest, as they say, is history.